1 cup 1 X 1 cm cubed orange sweet potato
20 ml olive oil
1 cup Spekko Saman White Rice
1 X 400 g can chickpeas in brine, drained
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ red onion, finely chopped
10 g coriander, roughly chopped
10 g parsley, roughly chopped
7.5 ml ground cumin
7.5 ml ground coriander
Canola oil for frying
1 tub hummus
Crispy pita bread triangles
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
- Toss the cubed sweet potato with 20 ml olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread the cubes out on a baking tray and roast in the oven until soft, about 30 minutes. Then roughly mash with the back of a spoon.
- Cook the rice according to packet instruction. Make sure the rice is drained well after cooking.
- Put the chickpeas, lemon zest & juice, garlic, red onion, coriander, parsley, cumin and coriander into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until still just a little bit chunky.
- Tip into a large bowl with the mashed sweet potato and cooked rice. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into golf size balls. Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a fryer or pot over a medium heat. Fry the falafels in batches until golden. You do not want the falafels to colour too quickly otherwise they will not cook through.
- Serve warm with hummus and crispy pita bread on the side.