15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
15 ml (1 tbsp) smoked paprika
1 kg beef mince
4 cups cooked IMBO red speckled beans
1 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
500 ml (2 cups) beef stock
15 ml (1 tbsp) cocoa powder
500 ml (2 cups) Spekko Parboiled Long Grain Rice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
125 ml (½ cup) grated mature cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips to garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-based pot and sauté onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until softened.
2. Add cayenne pepper, cumin seeds and paprika and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Stir in mince with a fork to avoid any lumps being formed. Lightly brown mince for a few minutes.
4. Add beans, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, sprinkle cocoa over and stir. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, cook Spekko Rice according to the instructions on the pack. Drain and keep warm.
6. Season the mince taste. Divide the rice between bowls and ladle on a generous helping of the mince.
7. Sprinkle with grated cheese and garnish with tortilla chips, if using.
From the Spekko kitchen
The chilli can be made the day before or even over the weekend when you have more time. When you want to serve it, just reheat it while cooking the rice