1/3 cup fruit chutney
30ml (2 tbsp) smooth apricot jam
juice of ½ fresh lemon
15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
3ml (½ tsp) paprika
¼ tsp white pepper
½ tsp minced garlic
salt to taste
700g shad, butterflied and head removed. Any other linefish can be used
45ml (3 tbsp) melted butter
30ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
- Combine fruit chutney, apricot jam, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, white pepper and garlic in a bowl. Mix well and season with salt.
- Place fish (skin side down) on a sheet of heavy duty foil.
- Spread ¾ of the apricot mixture over the fish then place fish with the foil over hot coals.
- Allow to braai for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush the remaining apricot mixture while the fish cooks.
- Gently turn and braai for another 2-3 minutes until cooked.
- Alternatively grill in the oven at 200 °C for 20 minutes until a golden brown crust is formed.
- Remove and drizzle melted butter over fish. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- Serve with a fresh salad and Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice.