Pickled Fish with Spekko Basmati Rice
Pickled fish is a traditional Easter dish in South Africa. In the Western Cape Snoek is the preferred fish with which to prepare this recipe. Spoon the rice and fish topped with coriander into a glass bottle and take to the office for lunch. Delicious.
Quick Pickled Fish with Basmati Rice
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
3 large onions, cut into thin rings
1 x 3 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
15 ml (1 tbsp) mild curry powder
10 ml (2 tsp turmeric
2 bay leaves
5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds, roughly crushed
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin powder
250 ml (1 cup) vinegar
juice and grated rind of 1 large lemon
125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
1 kg hake or yellow tail, skin on
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
flour, for dusting
oil for frying
fresh coriander for garnishing
6 cups cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
1. Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes – it should still be quite crisp.
2. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add the curry powder, turmeric, bay leaves, coriander seeds and cumin. Cook for a minute.
4. Add the vinegar, lemon juice and peel and sugar and let the pickling liquid simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, coat the fish in seasoned flour and fry in oil until golden and cooked through.
6. Carefully spoon into pickling liquid and leave to cool in the liquid. Best left overnight before enjoyed.
7. Serve with Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice and fresh coriander.